This last few weeks it seems that any people around me are going through a massive period of self growth. They are all in different places and different spaces but they are all growing as human beings and it’s the coolest thing to see. It’s not just them I’m going through a period of self growth and too and I feel good about a lot of different things. I can feel myself getting better as a person.
To this end I would like to share the top 5 things I’ve done to grow as a person
- Reading books. Not just the same kind of book over and over and over. I’m reading as widely as I can from all the genres even ones I thought I’d never read. I’m reading a book about a rockstar. I’ve read a book about a woman hiking through the woods. I read a self help book that was surprisingly good. A book about gardening in Australia. I’m broadening my knowledge base and it feels good to expand my horizons.
2. Not taking on other peoples shit. I work with people all the time in a very close capacity and it can be quite draining. You tend to hear a lot about their lives and what goes on in it. What I’ve learnt is that I can’t take on other people’s problems. You can’t help people who dont want to be helped and taking on their problems just drains you. The thing is the people that are the biggest energy drains aren’t always the kind of people who will give back.
3. Breathing. Everyone breathes and if you don’t you die #facts. What I’m talking about is a bit more like meditation. See one of my favorite work mates spent time as a legit monk overseas. We talk a lot of crap (mostly gardening) but one of the things we made our way around to one day is meditation. He can do it for hours but me, all I do is breathe in and breathe out. Not for long and I don’t ponder the life, universe and everything. I wasn’t created by mice to solve the ultimate question. Nope, I just focus on breathing in and out. It slows down my mind a bunch, shit gets clearer and I’m just calm.
4. Make myself happy which as a Mum and wife is directly opposite from the messages we get. This for me means putting myself and the people I love first. The way I look at it I do what I need to do to get through the week well. I get my corner of the world sorted with lunches, uniforms, I burn a little incense every day, read and I get to the gym a few times a week and have a bubble bath too. When this happens I’m happy and this makes everyone else happy. I don’t mean flogging yourself senseless because ‘I’m the Mum it’s my job’. I mean realistically doing what you need to do to be happy and healthy. If people outside or little family group are upset because I’m not doing what they expect of me or complying because I’m putting my family first bugger them. My people are happy and that’s the bit I care about.
5. Get a hobby. I like to garden. My parents gardened and so did my Pop so it’s in my blood. I also like to read and take photos now I have a bad ass camera. I do things that make me feel good and I can put my energy into. I’ve found since I’ve taken up other interests I don’t have time to get upset or involved with other people’s bullshit. I spend less time gossiping and have less time for rubbish because I’m either chatting to people about things I do or doing said things.
This is by no means the only way to do it but I think the key to growing as a person is finding something that works for you and that you enjoy.